5 Important Reasons to Keep Kids Away from Smartphones

Originally published at: https://blog.relaygo.com/digital-parenting/5-important-reasons-to-keep-kids-away-from-smartphones

Smartphones are everywhere, and parents are feeling pressure from their kids and the people around them to give phones to their kids at younger and younger ages. While phones provide your kid a way to contact you, they do a lot of other things that can harm your kid or expose them to things they aren’t ready to see. We talked to Brooke Shannon from Wait Until 8th, a movement empowering parents to keep phones out of kids hands until at least 8th grade, to bring you the top 5 reasons not to buy your kid a smartphone.    …

I’m at the opposite end of the spectrum. I gave my son a smartphone when he was 4. He didn’t pay much attention to it until he was ~7. By the time he turned 8 the fascination had worn off. Now it mostly just sits on the charger in the couch storage compartment. It gets ~15 minutes of use per week.

#5 of the article reminds me of Sherry Turkle’s Ted Talk, “Connected But Alone.”

That’s encouraging to hear! I’m glad your son is having that experience. It’s definitely worth considering what happens when smartphones are “old news.” What kind of activities does your family enjoy?