Activation Experiences... what did you think?

We’ve gotten mixed feedback from you about activating your Relay devices - many of you indicated that you found it challenging or even nearly impossible.

We understand the necessity to better communicate how the activation process works. You, as BETA testers, were purposely not given much to go off of to test just how intuitive the process was. You were sent a link (relaygo.com/setup) to go to for help getting activated. We would love to know…

• Did you visit the link to get set up? If so, did you visit it right away, or did you wait until after trying to activate the Relays on your own?

• Talk a little be about your experience using the set-up link. What worked for you and what didn’t work?

• If you could wave a magic wand, what would you change about the information that was included on that page?

Some of you suggested having something in the box to help with activation. What, specifically, would you like to see in the box, and what information would be included on it?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

It took a few minutes to realize I needed to go to the link. I couldnt activate it so I decided to go back to the last email sent and then figured out to go to the link. Once I went to the link the setup was easy for me.

I think having a little card right when you open the box that tells you to go to the site or download the app to activate the relay would be enough. I mean, I’d make it so it’s visually appealing, and branded and all that good stuff, of course, but it needs to be very easy to find and clear.

I searched the play store for “relay” and there were MANY apps called relay. Giving the specific/unique app name would have been helpful. I ended up finding it by searching the app store for “Republic relay” and it popped right up.

I was very confused at activation because I had no cellular service so I couldn’t audibly get the activation key. I didn’t no where I was supposed to get the key from until I called tech support (after searching the welcome emails for some sort of a key or activation code).

I have been with republic for a while so I guess I was pretty use to handling activation by doin things online. It took me a couple goes but I did not find it too difficult. I thought I would automatically be able to put it on my wifi but that did not come until an update to the relay app. Now everything is working fine and my daughters love them.

I’m glad to hear that you didn’t find Relay activation too difficult and that your girls are loving them. Thanks for sharing!

Our cell signal in the house is very poor. So we had very hard time connecting the devices to the relay network. We could go outside and try to find a bit of signal and even that was challenging. But even then, they really were not usable inside the house and consistently lost access to the relay network. And because we couldn’t use the cell signal to connect inside the house long enough to make the first Wifi connection, we couldnt connect to wifi either.

the relay folks were kind enough to send me AT&T SIM cards which did allow for easier connection to the cell network (AT&T signal is better in our house) and did ultimately allow for wifi connection. Once the wifi networks became recognized by the network, everything worked just fine. But this was a multiple day process.

I think some more documentation in the package for when you first open including troubleshooting could have been very helpful.

Perhaps the devices can connect to wifi first (like iOS devices) and the cell phone second so they don’t fail right out of the box.

In our house, we use an AT&T microcell to boost the signal of AT&T. It requires registration on the microcell using the cell phone number of the device you are using. Is there a way to know the underlying cell phone number for the relay devices so they can be registered on the microcell?

Perhaps a choice of cell phone networks when ordering devices makes sense.

It was also hard to figure out whether or not the battery had enough life because the LED doesn’t seem to work for the purposes of communicating battery life.

What carriers are being tested as part of the BETA