Create Relay app for Android Wear devices

feature
new

Android Wear OS devices (watches) would be the perfect companion to communicate with the Relay devices. Allow install of the Relay app onto Wear OS devices and enable the notification and talking functionality. If a Wear OS device doesn’t have a built-in speaker, allow it to work when connected to bluetooth speakers/headset or allow one-way communication using microphone.

Though I don’t own one, in the spirit of Android/iOS compatibility for the Relay app, I would suggest extending this to Apple’s watchOS.

I will +1 this idea. I thought i was clever and that it was an original, but Tim beat me to it! I have a wear device and I can speak to it with google assistant, but there’s no Relay app available! I want to feel like Dick Tracy when I talk to my Relay Contacts!!

I am a samsung gear user, I believe I have gone through 4 versions. Currently my Gear Watch has a sim card and receives data and makes calls. I strongly agree that using an app on the watch would be WAY COOL with RELAY. And…It just seems like it should be easy.

I would think if that’s the case every app maker would be doing it. I have a Gear S2, my son has a Gear S3 and the availability to Tizen (the watch OS) is far from complete.

I doubt few app developers are even aware of relay. That’s why I posted. Being somewhat familiar…well, the pieces are all there for a wearable republic relay app, iOS, tizen, or wear. Just putting it out there. It would be great for the few.

Tim VanAntwerp

You miss my point. What I’m saying is that if the creation of wear/tizen apps was simple, every other developer would be doing it too. The fact that most 3rd party apps that are available for Android are NOT available for wear/tizen tells me it isn’t “easy”.

I was tempted to purchase a Moto 360 awhile back. Kids are all older now … but if I had young kids, and an Android watch with Relay app, I’d be happy as a literal camper. I love how small and tough Relay is … Much smaller than all the walkie-talkies I’ve owned.

20 years ago, we were delighted with the ease of use of our Nextel iden “Walkie Talkie” one-button, push-to-talk clamshell cellphones for hours of fun; adventuring, hiking, mall shopping, … but most importantly FINDING each other! (before GPS!) I could push a single button to “group call” from where I worked at the entrance to Zion Canyon to anywhere my family had an iden signal.

As an aside, get each of your kids a treasure map and a compass and teach your whole family how to use them. Play Capture the Flag (without using the GPS locator on your own Relay App … No cheating!) and watch how quickly your kids will want to learn Chart and Compass to find several treasures you have hidden. Be a kid again! Even at 65, I am purchasing new Nerf Rival blasters for my older kids so we can still have Nerf battles at parks and campgrounds throughout the west. I’d love to have a tough, waterproof Dick Tracy style Relay wearable with a bluetooth earpiece for our mock battles next week! Hope I don’t wait forever but … I’m seriously buying a couple dozen Relay 2.0s (if they have built-in waterproof solar chargers) for loads of outdoor recreational activities … especially camping, Tandem /Adventure Island sailing/Mirage drive kayaking on inland lakes, adventuring and hiking … especially where LTE and WiFi are now common.

I’m not so sure it would be difficult to build an Android Wear app for Relay. It’s probably being planned by others in the industry. Since Nextel instantaneous technology (I mention above) is still being used in many southern states by utility companies today, could Republic Wireless also possibly develop something along those lines … at least in a few states as a test market? … ie. peer to peer

I’m not sure who would be planning such as there isn’t another product quite like this in the industry.

The old Nextel iDen technology is long gone… Some carriers have their own proprietary PTT (push-to-talk) technology and there’s also a 4G PTT standard. I think the closest you’ll see to this from Republic is the Relay app on your phone.

Hmm… I thought some utitility was still using iden (or similar) in a few southern states I read about. Anyway, is this some new PTT tech … Being beta-tested;
https://info.orionlabs.io/push-to-talk-alternative-for-sprint-direct-connect-nextel?utm_term=nextel%20phones&utm_campaign=Search_Non-Brand>Targeted>Competitors>Mobile&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_tgt=kwd-13020306&hsa_grp=46733372150&hsa_src=g&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_mt=b&hsa_ver=3&hsa_ad=282072566344&hsa_acc=7858388269&hsa_kw=nextel%20phones&hsa_cam=834182354&gclid=CjwKCAjw2_LcBRBYEiwA_XVBU1j5ySoMBOz-XAqHowcISUDq9p9L36sASm6FtGGdiWgZJ3zMgHIbHhoCWVEQAvD_BwE#lead-form

And Im still wondering if maybe this commitment to iden and LTE using band 26 has since been completely abandoned?

I’m not sure what the point of all of this is. I then is at very best about to be dead, but in reality is dead as there are no Nationwide providers and the uses are in very specific Industries in very specific Niche markets. I’m not sure what the point of the discussion is however.