Emergency mode - remotely increase device volume and open a channel

new
feature

Suppose a parent receives no reply from the child’s device after a number of attempts. Perhaps the device is in a loud environment and cannot be heard, the device has been lost, or is not functioning.

An emergency communication mode should remotely increase the volume to maximum and have the option to send a short but piercing attention siren. It should have an option to remotely open a voice channel to capture at least 20 seconds of ambient sound in order for the parent to hear what is happening around the device.

Feedback to the app should indicate whether the remote commands have been received and executed or not.
For privacy, a voice prompt could verbally notify the device user that remote listening has been activated and when it has stopped.

How do I sell my Relay? I don't want it anymore

You listed this as a use-case. What use case is this a feature for? Sounds like a feature that could be beneficial for all use-cases.

A use cases would be things like; “use at nursing homes for keeping in touch with aging family”, or “Use at theme parks to keep families in touch even if they split up” or "Use for small yet separate employee teams to keep in touch.

Should I change this to a feature

Edit: I changed it to #feature

I am not sure all establishments would appreciate this. Like forgetting Bobby is in a theater.

I am not sure about remote recording in a public place, but it is interesting.

This is already done. The Relay will tell you if the message was not delivered.

I like where your head is at you are trying to come up with a solution to something that plagues all parents, usually with teenagers.

Problem:

“Parents get frustrated when they are unable to reach their kid and need to be able to do it whenever possible”

Sure, doesn’t matter to me if it is considered a feature or use case.
As the parent or owner of the communication device, my interest is in maintaining communication with the device. While in a theater “Bobby” can turn it off (most places announce this, right?). More often “Bobby” will be not paying attention to my calls while playing video games with his friends or has turned the volume down and cannot hear my call. Most parents who give their kids cell phones are all too familiar with being ignored. However, if it is my elderly parent, I also want these same features. In fact, I cannot think of a case where I would not want these features.

Recording ambient sound in order to determine the environment is a common feature of mobile devices, especially in case of theft. I recommend a short duration to maintain a modicum of privacy, but anti-theft apps like Avast will keep the channel open as long as you want. After all, it is your device, so there is no (or very limited) expectation of privacy if someone else is using it.

Sorry if you misunderstood me about feedback. The feedback to the app is not for the voice messages, it is for the commands I mentioned earlier that are sent to the device. If I send an alert command to the device, I need confirmation the command was received. If I’m doing this at all it is because no one is responding to my voice messages.

Thanks for the feedback! Remotely changing the channel and volume level (from the app) are two things we already have in our roadmap for beta testing. Thus far we’ve stayed away from options that turn on the microphone remotely since it can be a big privacy concern, especially for uses outside of kids and seniors (e.g. people working on a job site, hiking, etc). Right now it’s pretty clean - literally the only way to send audio is to have your finger on the button.

I can definitely see your point around device ownership and privacy expectations for kids, and the need for remote audio. We’ll keep evaluating these and other features as we get more feedback.