Getting Ready for the Relay Music Channel: How Do You Listen to Music?

In our last App Update, we teased our Music Channel :musical_note: (coming soon). With its availability on the horizon, I wanted to get an idea of how you all anticipate using it. Similar to your phone or a portable music player, you will need to add files from a computer to your Relay device in order to use the Relay Music channel (no playlists or library visibility once they’re on the device). That being said, times have changed a bit with the advent of streaming services and the expansion/diversity of online music stores. I must admit, I’m a bit behind the times with the occasional online store purchase from Amazon, and still using my iPod classic from several years ago :confused:. What are some ways you all currently download and transfer music files? What programs do you use?
…And FOR FUN: share a favorite artist, song or album, you’d definitely need when you’re on the go.

Please note: We do not encourage any illegal methods- please don’t share them here :no_good_woman: .

How has Relay Made Your School Days Easier?

I’ve already shared my antiquated way of getting music…Here’s a song I’ve been listening to lately, a must have for Andi-on-the-go:

I usually stream music from youtube or spotify (my local storage champion.) My go-to songs are things that put a spring in my step when I walk (or cook, or do laundry or whatever.) Like this oldie-but-goodie:

I have an 128GB microSD card filled with music that I generally listen to locally. When I want to add new songs I pick them up on Google Play and add them to the card. A major portion of the music is from CD rips (of CDs I own) stored in FLAC and the downloads of more recent stuff are MP3s.

I bought both Apple’s first iPod and first iPhone (hey Android was late to the party), so have amassed a fairly large iTunes library. Actually, the first iPod predated iTunes, therefore, a significant portion of my library is ripped from CDs (nothing illegal I own them).

Now that i’m on Android, I leverage iTunes there as well and it’s not all that complicated: Moving from iPhone to Android: How to Sync iTunes Music.

My go to running song:

I was a mix-tape master in the 80s but I don’t think they will build a cassette player into Relay so I’ll just have to transfer some tunes over. Here’s one out of my ‘favorites’ playlist. Bonus if you know who his niece is.

I haven’t “bought” music in years. We exclusively stream, with I thought most of the rest of the world these days. We have a subscription to Amazon Music Unlimited and my husband likes Pandora. Transferring files seems pretty antiquated but I guess I see the need for more control on a kids device. But a partnership with a streaming service that could have parental controls would be awesome!

As for what music, my kids love The Greatest Showman soundtrack and ask Alexa to play it almost daily.

The issue is that streaming costs data and data costs money and therefore streaming would cost Republic money and would therefore have to cost the customer.

While I subscribe to Apple Music and Amazon, even on those services I prefer to download the files and listen from local memory. It’s better quality, not dependent on a 100% solid data connection, uses less battery, and is easier on your data plan.

I’m happy the music feature is here. That said, I’m a little surprised it uses a procurement method from 2002.

This is not a complaint at all, just a “what if”. This is what I had imagined the music feature would look like:
-Streamed content
-Voice activated (speak: play album, song, artist, etc.)
-Hosted by Google Music, with a pre-selected list of songs (selected by parent/admin) available to each device.

Regardless of where the music comes from, I think voice controls would be excellent! In the future it would be great to be able to link any of major existing streaming service accounts (Apple, Amazon, Google, Spotify, etc.) to our Relay devices, since that’s where people are getting their music today.

All of these options would have to be a premium service as they cost money. Streaming music uses data, data costs Republic, therefore data has to cost the customer. Not saying they can’t do a premium streaming service, but we shouldn’t expect that Republic can provide it at the current price.

Having worked in the wireless industry for 10 years I totally get that. I wonder if streaming over wifi only would be feasible, or if it would just upset people when they leave wifi.

The music player is my favorite feature, as it gives me a reason to connect my headphones to my relay while I’m working. That means I don’t have to pull my relay out of my pocket every time it rings, ask what’s up, then find out that it’s not something I needed to worry about.

I like the controls (single press to start or stop, double press for the next track, triple press for the previous track). I wish there was a way to skip to a random track however. Also, I wish I could get to the music channel even when I’m not connected to the relay server.

I listen mainly to church music that I can get online for free (https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns).

In the past I’ve listened to video game music from ocremix.org, but it’s a bit hit-or-miss whether I’m going to really like any particular track.

I use foobar2000 to convert mp3 to aac to reduce size with little quality difference.

Thanks for sharing!

You can turn on shuffle by triple pressing the center talk button.

I’ve been using it a lot while I’m driving too- (I use an “olde( r)school” aux cord instead of BT), makes it much easier to just keep my eyes on the road and change the songs by feel rather than having to look down at a phone/screen.

I played with my relay a bit more and found that holding the talk button switches shuffle mode on and off. I also found that it can play midi files (and does a pretty good job at it).

Later I noticed that all these features are described on the screen where you add the Music channel: it says “We support most major audio formats (mp4, m4a, aac, flac, 3gp, mid, mp3, mkv, ogg)” at the bottom of the “How to add music to your Relay” screen, and the “How to play music on your Relay” page describes all the controls.