Has any one in beta check the range/how far made a call

What was the furthest a call was made?

It works over cellular or WiFi so it will work anywhere there is coverage. Range from device to device is not the best way to think about it since the limiter is coverage.

Yes I understand about the coverage. I just wanted to know how far some one made a call or used it say like 1 mile or ten etc If you have the coverage cell or wifi you should be able to
reach out long range.

As @SeanR said, distance between units is an irrelevant metric. Other than, perhaps, to sound impressive. Just as nobody asks how far away the other person can be on a telephone call (cellular or otherwise). The limitation is not on distance from the other unit, but distance from the necessary infrastructure. That would be similar to a cellphone: typically within several miles of a cellular tower, or within a few hundred feet of a WiFi connection.

I’m sure people will be amused in the beginning (just as we were with mobile phones and the “guess where I’m calling from” phenomenon) at being able to talk with someone in the next town, state, or opposite side of the earth. For that last case - and the theoretical maximum distance without leaving the planet, the working distance would be 12,450 miles. Assuming there was WiFi or Cellular service to connect to.

Conversely, if there’s no cellular or WiFi signal available, two users could be standing next to each other but not be able to communicate with each other via the Relay. Unlike a conventional two-way radio, It has no peer-to-peer capability. Relay is entirely dependent on the cellular or WiFi network.

It would be great if a future version could offer some sort of mesh networking using the existing WiFi radio, perhaps, to allow short-range communications when out of cellular or WiFi range.Hopefully they are already exploring that possibility, as it would expand utility of the device for hiking, camping, and other outdoor activities that may be enjoyed in areas of limited, spotty, or no cellular coverage.

Ok I under stand all the teck.end of this. I was just interested
if some one had made a call at some distance a way from the
home base or there home that is all . Not 2 blocks down the street or back yard.

I’ve ‘called’ my kids from probably about 10 miles away (if you’re in the Raleigh area, it was downtown Apex to Holly Springs). I get what you’re saying. When I explain that these are walkie-talkies that work over cell, the first thing people want to know is the range, even though it really doesn’t matter, so it helps to say “I talked to my kid when I was at Target and he was at baseball practice” so people can get an idea of how it works.

Thank you so much aliciamarel
That was the info I was looking for. So When at the store
an need info that,s great. I am in a rural area so this will
work for me again thank for the info

I guess the confusion some may have is when RW refers to the Relay as being like Walkie Talkies, so parents are wondering about range, although with WiFI and cellular, thankfully, that is no longer an issue (YAY!).

Using the “like Walkie Talkies” can be confusing as most walkie talkies do not perform well.

The relay will work as long as you WiFi or Cellular. It is not a Satellite device so any rural areas that have spotty cellular or WiFi might not work.

I used the Relays at over 115 miles and they worked great. The kids loved being able to talk to Dad at home, while we were out of town.

Thank you C_family
That is really what I wanted to know. Sounds like it worked great for you all. And thank you for the info

Longest call I’ve made was from Shenzhen, China, to Raleigh, NC. There’s no real range concern.

In that case, I had a small WiFi AP that I brought with me that was already paired with the Relay. As long as Relay has an IP connection, you don’t have any range concerns. Since we designed the device to work over cellular AND over WiFi, as long as you’re in coverage for either technology you’ll be able to communicate. And, the companion APP will tell you the status of your devices, whether they’re with you or thousands of miles away.

When I travel, I carry a Raspberry Pi microcomputer configured as a WiFi AP (Access Point, not APPlication), so I can share a wired network connection in my hotel room wirelessly. The hotels I stay in sometimes have relatively slow WiFi, but fast Ethernet internet access. SO, I can use that in my room to share the Ethernet connection. I hope this eliminates any confusion I’ve caused.

Moderator’s Note: Combined posts for contextual clarity

That is great . So now when I get mine I am good to go.

Apparently that was using a phone from China to a relay in NC and not Relay to Relay unless you preplanned a workaround. My understanding is that Relays can’t be set up to use a WiFi network with the phone app outside the US due to lack of cellular for the Relay…

Relay Team please explain your reply on Relay’s range and how your call was placed.

Thanks.

You need to be connected to US cell in order to activate a Relay. Once you do that, you can use Relay internationally via WiFi. @deant.xp5wak likely activated their Relay in the US, and then was able to use it via a WiFi connection when in China.

How? We’ve got a chicken/egg problem. If not on cellular one can’t reach the Relay to configure for that wifi network. So, you get to whereever, the wifi network is clearly not stored in the phone, but there’s also no cell service, how does one get the Relay to connect to wifi there?

Maybe same named and configured Wifi?

What are the chances of that? Unless you’re carrying your own wifi repeater to make it happen…

I’ve circled back and corrected this linked article for clarity:

@deant.xp5wak’s response is one way to go about international use, the article mentions another way which is via the Relay app.