Indication of no coverage

Will the Relay have a method to indicate when you’re in an area with no WiFi or cell coverage?

That’s a good question. Sounds like a good use of one of the multitude of LEDs on the unit.

On the same vane … I wonder if it will take advantage of Republics 'Bonded Calling’ so when the user runs outside to play and then disappears over the back fence if it will ‘handover’ to Cell/LTE?

Good question indeed! We plan on having the LED display as well as a voice prompt/indicator to notify the user that they are out of range.

@Andi_Bm
Any chance you could answer my tagged on question?
I wonder if it will take advantage of Republics 'Bonded Calling’ so when the user runs outside to play and then disappears over the back fence if it will ‘handover’ to Cell/LTE?

This makes no sense to me. There isn’t an ongoing conversation going on. It is a walkie-talkie type conversation, what would you be handing off? These are data packets that go out whatever connection is available, like any other data packet.

Yes, I under-thought that one … so I guess my question should have been simply this: Will connectivity be maintained when the Relay unit moves from WiFi to Cell or Cell to WiFi?

In that case, why wouldn’t it? It is a data connection. I would think it would act like any data connection other than to connect to wifi the first time you’ll have to use a phone with the companion app.

Right, what @louisdi is getting at is more what will happen. Because the messages will be coming through to the receiving Relay as long as they’re connected (be it WiFi or Cell), bonded calling-type technology won’t be as imperative. I think though, the sentiment of what you’re getting at, being one of a harmonious relationship between WiFi and Cell, will be the case with Relay as it is with RW. We want both forms of connectivity to be viable options for Relay users.
Did I cover your concerns/questions? I can always pull in our engineers to get a better idea of the message sending/receiving process.

No, I think you both have set me straight … Thanks

Oh, good. That’s been settled. I was trying to figure out why it was even a question for a device that presumably communicates via intermittent bursts of data. I thought that perhaps I had missed some feature that required continuous connectivity. Glad to know it functions exactly as I’d imagined.

Is there any kind of indication that someone is not reachable on the sending end? I could envision a scenario where the recipient is without coverage and someone is trying to reach him/her. In that case, would the person trying to reach a relay device be notified that the device can’t be reached?

It looks like this has been partially answered in a FAQ post:

Will Relay tell me if I am in an area with no coverage?
Relay has an LED display as well as a voice indicator that will notify a user if he or she is out of range. The companion app will also indicatewhen/if the Relay is not in a coverage area.

To add to that- we will also have an indication message to inform users when no one in their group is online. That way the sender will be aware when someone is not reachable.