Parent access from phone instead of carrying separate Relay device?

My apologies if this was already answered. I searched, but none of the threads I found quite matched my question.

I’d love this device for my three youngest kiddos! The problem is that I don’t want to carry an extra device to communicate with them. All the ads show the parent holding a Relay device too. My older teen children, my husband and I already have Republic Wireless android phones, and would want to communicate with the youngers’ Relay devices without hauling (and paying for ) duplicate gizmos in addition to our phones. WIll the app allow this?

In other words, we are a famiy of 8. We would love to have 3 Relay devices for they youngest 3 children in communication with the oldest 5 of us via our Republic Wireless android phones. So, 3 Relay devices instead of 8.

Will it work this way? It’d be the deal breaker for us. If the parents and older siblings need to have Relay devices too, it isn’t a good fit for our family due to redundancy for the adults and older children.

Thanks!

Great question! You are not required to have your own Relay in order to communicate with your kid’s Relays. The companion app will allow you to communicate with them right from your phone. That way you will not have to worry about carrying around both your smartphone and a Relay :relaxed:
Keep the great questions coming! It sounds like your family is a great fit for a few Relays to keep in touch with one another.

YAY!

You might make consider having future ads show a parent communicating with the kids Relay via their own smartphone. :slight_smile: It kinda gave the impression that they only work between Relay devices and that ever family member must have their own Relay device, which might alienate some people.

It looks like it is indeed a great fit for us! So excited!

Thank you for that feedback! It’s very helpful to hear that. We’ve got some really exciting things coming down the pipeline for Relay, and this is just the beginning of it all! We encourage any feedback you have for us as this journey unfolds :relaxed:

A related follow up question. Can multiple companion apps be used on separate phones?

Great question! Yes, you will be able to download the companion app on multiple phones. We picture this being something that both parents can download on each of their phones, so they are always in communication with the Relays on their account.

11 posts were split to a new topic: Will Relay be compatible with iOS?

One more related question: How many parents/older siblings can connect to a Relay device with smartphones? Ideally, I’d love for my Relay carrying 10 year old twins to be able to reach my husband’s phone, three teen sisters, who have smartphones, and me on my phone. (So I’d like the Relay to be able to connect to RW Android Smartphones of 5 family members.)

Yes, you can download the Relay app to multiple smartphones and login with your Relay account credentials on each phone to stay in contact with your Relays! :slight_smile:

That raises a new question… in the situation described - a mix of several Relays and several App users, do all app users have administrative (“parental”) control privileges? or can some app users be designated as client-only (or whatever nomenclature is appropriate) – being allowed to communicate among their designated group as if it were a Relay, but not make any configuration changes?

Perhaps there should be two versions of the app - call them “Parent” and “Child” versions (to keep things consistent with your limited marketing scope). This way only a parent has full control, but an older child with a phone can still communicate on the family’s Relay channel without needing another device, but not be able to disrupt things or tamper with parental controls of the other children’s Relay devices.