The Relay Channel Store: Customize with Brand New Features!

Originally published at: https://blog.relaygo.com/relay-in-action/relay-channel-store-customize-features

Want to stay connected to your child when they’re at school, at practice, or out playing with friends—but you feel like they aren’t quite old enough to have their own smartphone? That’s why we created Relay, the screenless smartphone alternative that kids love and parents trust. If you don’t have a Relay of your own yet, here’s what you need to know: Easy push-to-talk communication with powerful nationwide 4G LTE range Made for play with rugged spill-and-splash-proof design Screenless by design so your kid can stay focused on being a kid Relay companion app for iPhone and Android makes talking…

Sounds fantastic. When can we expect this functionality in the apps available in the Play Store?

Both Andriod and iOS should be rolling out now, and completed by the end of the day.

Yeessss!!! Is there any way to add Relays from another account to a channel without having to bump them together? :crossed_fingers: We just sent two Relays to friends in NY and bought them with the intention of being able to talk together but won’t be able to bump them, being 800 miles away.

I would love some way to leave a message for my kids.

Just got the updated app I am now checking out will check in later

Just got the app update and played with it a minute, but I guess the one issue I see is not knowing when someone is trying to reach you. Let’s say I’m on a channel with on child and the other one wants to reach me, but the app is not connected to the channel it’s solely through the Relay, how will I be alerted when someone is trying to reach me on a different channel? Is there a way to notify through the app without giving everyone access to every channel?
Hopefully someone knows what I’m trying to say here…

I know exactly what you’re saying and haven’t had the time to play with the functionality myself to figure it out, but that is certainly a concern about channels in general.

Basically, the Family channel is always open to speak and be heard by all. While on the Family channel you can then ask to talk privately and then both users can move to the private channel. It essentially works like a walkie-talkie, where you have people move to another channel but that channel will only work for a subset of users.

Any family channel discussion will move everyone back to the family channel.

Example where I want to talk to my wife only:

Family Channel (Me): Honey can we talk privately?
Move to Parent Channel (Me and Wife)
Parent Channel (Us): Private conversation
Note: Next Family Channel activity moves us back, so we do not have to remember to move back.

That feature is still in the works- but definitely on the roadmap! Don’t worry!

I’m playing around with the new channel feature (love the possibilities with this), but I can’t get it to work. I’ve set up a channel for each relay and enabled it on that relay, but when I select the channel and push to talk, it says no one is online, even though both devices are on. I can talk to both on the relay channel; I just can’t talk to them on the individual channel. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Read my post ^^

You will need to tell the user in the family channel to move to the private channel first. They need to be on the channel with you or it will not work. Steps:

!. Announce that you want to meet them privately; “Please go to private channel” over the Family Channel
2. Then both move to the private channel and talk.

Thank you Sean, I was worried about the switching back, now that the kids are messing around with it I see what you mean. This might work quite nicely. Just a question about the channels and adding friends not on our account…

Is it just one friend able to do instant chat, or is there a channel together. I gave the kids their own channel together, for outdoor play, but can the neighbors kids be added to the channel?

Can’t wait to see how y’all integrate the music into this awesomeness!

We actually played around with our Relays this morning to test this question :slight_smile: You can have as many as you want on Instant Chat (we ended up with 6), and the bumps are viral so all it takes is one person who’s already in Instant Chat. If you wanted to add the neighbors to a channel with your kids, you’d want to use Instant Chat.

Thanks Andi, our neighbor hasn’t gotten Relay yet but we are promoting like crazy around here

I’ll say, after having a bit of time to play with this, I’m pretty impressed with the implementation. This was the big missing piece of functionality for us. Thanks for getting this done Republic Relay team.

Ok now that we’ve had some time to play with them, I’m pretty bummed. When using the instant chat channel, why is the connection transient? It’s lost as soon as the channel is changed (or as soon as anyone talks on the relay channel, forcing a channel change on all account Relays). Then you have to bump them together again to connect them. We really want our kids to be able to talk with cousins and friends who are not in the vicinity and this is impossible with the current instant chat channel implementation. :frowning:

Based on the AMA that the Relay folks did, a different type of cross-account chat channel is in the plans, but this is the current implementation. They’re trying to balance security (who is talking to your kids) versus convenience and this is the short-term solution to providing some cross-account chatting (for instance with neighbors) until they get the full solution fully baked.

Very good to hear thank you!

I would like to see a second fully functional relay channel. One where notifications can be sent, but separate from the main channel. This one so it can be customized on who gets the notifications. Much like a walkie talkie it would be a full function channel two to the mobile app users.