Tinitell User interested in converting to Relay

Our eight-year-old is a Tinitell wearer. The company is out of business and the device will stop working in September, which brings us to Relay.

What are the adjustments a Tinitell customer could expect to have to make? About 50 seconds in to the “Day in the LIfe” video on your home page the girl throws her Relay in the dirt, and I’m pretty sure her father spends three hours searching the baseball diamond in the dark that night. I’m really missing that watch band.

Here’s what I see:

1. This isn’t a phone of any kind. It communicates only with other Relay devices or the Relay App. Unlike the Tinitell watch you can’t set a list of phone numbers to call.

2. Bigger than the watch, although a band accessory was listed as planned when originally discussed. Not sure where that stands.

@ion Thanks for the interest. While Relay is built upon cell phone technology it is not used like a cell phone. Relay devices connect to each other through an “always on” channel so there’s no dialing. Just hold down the Talk button and talk and your message is sent to all devices in the group including the Relay app on the parent’s cell phone, when the app is open and using the “virtual Relay”. Relay devices can notify the parent’s cell phone that they want to communicate should the cell phone be using another app. The parent’s cell phone can request the location of all Relay devices as well. The casual way that the daughter tosses her device is meant to show that we designed Relay to be rugged but Dad should be able to send messages to help find a lost device. :smile:

As a Tinitell customer I wonder how well you liked the wrist band? Would you prefer a lanyard or other form instead?

New Marketing is Misleading

The watch form factor was the bomb. When we first looked at relay, which I understand is much bigger, it had an arm band option. Is that coming to the store? He’d be more likely to leave it in transit, and the “there’s no problem finding it while it’s charged and on a cell network” is nice, but not completely reassuring.

Hi @ion My son (who is 9) has had a Tinitell for about a year now and has been testing Relays for almost a year. I also like the watch form factor of the Tinitell in terms of helping him keep up with things, but he does alright with keeping the Relay in his pocket. When the accessories come out (armband is still on the list), I’ll be the first in line for one :wink:

As @louisdi and @peterm.cd4fzj pointed out - Relay can’t call phone numbers directly like Tinitell does. It can communicate with any phone that has the Relay app though, or of course, other Relays. Right now, these communications can only be done with people on the same Relay account, but an account can have up to 10 different users. For us, we certainly didn’t have 10 different numbers loaded onto his Tinitell, so it hasn’t been much of a difference for us in terms of him feeling “limited” in who he can talk to.

Let me know if you have any specific questions comparing the two!

Would the phones with the Relay App have to be on Revolution wireless? We’d probalby get a relay for the five-year-old (when they’re six) and put apps on the babysitters’ phones, our own and perhaps some grandparents. But, I don’t know that I can get everyone to switch network providers.

The apps are carrier agnostic. This is a standalone product made by Republic Wireless.