Unlocked/international use?

Hi.

I would love to use Relay for my kids and myself when they are out. The idea of a screeners communication with Google Assistant is perfect and not only for kids. But you are in USA and I am I Canada… Could the device be purchased and used with other networks, providing I insert a micro sim with a data plan or will it only work with Republic Wireless? What happens if a Republic wireless customer takes it with them across the border? Thanks!

Hi @constantine and thanks for reaching out about Relay! For our initial release, Relay will only be able to work in the US. That has to do with the testing and partnerships we’ve secured for the device so far. While you won’t have to be a Republic Wireless customer from the start, we will be the only ones to offer service for Relay. If the device is taken out of range (aka: cell coverage), you will be notified that it’s offline (via the Relay device and the companion app), and no communication will be sent or received on it.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I understand what it takes to take a consumer product to market and hope this goes as smoothly as possible. Ideally, it would be great to be able to pop a nano-sim with data into the device and take it elsewhere (even for Republic Wireless customers - they do travel, right?). I’d be happy to pay a premium for the unlocked version of the device to be able to use it outside of USA. Not sure how many people like me are out there, but I think the idea of communicating with kids and family wirelessly is just as widespread as the need to limit kids (and adults) to screen time while being able to be in touch… This means there is a market for this device outside of USA and the time for it is yesterday. Just a thought. :slight_smile:

Will a like notification advise us when back in range on online?

Thanks.