We recently shared this video on our social channels, but I wanted to bring the discussion here to The Neighborhood as well. Take a few minutes and check out this 12-year-old’s take on having her smartphone removed from her daily life for 1 month:
If your child had a smartphone, would feel comfortable doing this?
What’s the longest period of time you’d have your child/teen/pre-teen smartphone-less?
- 1-2 Days/a weekend
- 3 days- 1 week
- A couple weeks - 1 Month
- Several Months
- Remove entirely (potentially replace with alternative)
For those of you who have reserations, what are they regarding?
- How will I be able to keep in touch with my child?
- I don’t want my child to feel like I don’t trust them
- I don’t want my child ostracized for not having phone
- They’re going to hate me
- As soon as I give them the phone back, they’ll pick up where they left off
- I can’t guarantee this is received as an education and not as a punishment
- Other- comment below